Submitted by the League of Women Voters of Bedford
The Bedford League of Women Voters will hold a forum on local transportation issues on Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 7:30 pm in the home of Carol Amick and Bill Moonan, 18 Crescent Ave.
Bob Dorer, Chairman of the town’s Transportation Advisory Committee, will be the featured speaker.
Dorer will describe his committee’s investigations and recommendations about local transportation issues and needs. The public is invited to attend.
The transportation focus of this local LWV program is intended to assist the Bedford League’s review of its existing transportation positions.
LWV positions are adopted only after extensive study. The current local positions related to transportation include:
- Support of the formulation of a comprehensive traffic and public transportation plan for Bedford consistent with regional planning.
- Support of regional public transportation.
- Oppose the expansion of Hanscom Field as a major airport.
- Support the 1973 level of general aviation activity at Hanscom Field; expansion of this activity deserves further and continued concern.
- Support of a clear determination by the town of the appropriate responsible agent for planning and implementing transportation plans for Bedford.
- Support of the hiring of a transportation consultant to assist the town in this endeavor.
- Support of researching and implementing alternatives to the private automobile in solution of Bedford’s traffic problems.
- Support of transportation programs responsive to the needs of the elderly.
- Follow the review of the Bedford Local Transit service and other transportation issues in Bedford.
Bedford LWV members invite residents with an interest in local transportation issues to bring their ideas to this meeting, which will begin the League’s evaluation, and possible updating, of its local positions on this topic.