Getting Involved: Town Boards and Committees Seek Volunteers



Submitted by Bedford’s Volunteer Coordinating Committee

Volunteers are needed to fill vacancies on the Bedford Finance and Capital Expenditures Committees along with several other volunteer boards and committees.

Finance Committee and Capital Expenditures Committee

The Finance Committee (“FinCom”) is one of the most important, and active, committees in Town government.  The nine members meet weekly for several months of the year, generally from October through April, to prepare a Town budget for presentation at the Annual Town Meeting.  Each FinCom member serves as a liaison to one or more standing committees.

The Capital Expenditures Committee prepares, and annually updates, a six-year plan for spending on town capital projects (i.e., those expected to last more than one year), which is used in financial planning by the Selectmen and Finance Committee.

Other Town Boards and Committees

In addition to the vacancies on the Finance Committee and Capital Expenditures, there are other boards and committees with current vacancies that are critical parts of Town government.  They address a number of issues, as their names imply:

  • Awarding grants to local cultural projects from funds provided by the MA Cultural Council (Cultural Council);
  • Conducting hearings, issuing permits and monitoring construction on local projects subject to the MA Wetlands Protection Act, the Rivers Protection Act, and Bedford’s Wetlands Protection bylaw (Conservation Commission);
  • Protecting the Town’s historic district (Historic District Commission); and
  • Holding public hearings to consider petitions for variances and special permits as well as applications under the Town’s Sign Bylaw (Zoning Board of Appeals.

There are also vacancies on these Town boards and committees:

  • Community Preservation
  • Depot Park Advisory Committee
  • Hanscom Area Town’s (HATS)
  • Land Acquisition
  • Recreation Commission
  • Sign By-Law Review
  • Trails
  • Transportation Advisory
  • Youth & Family Services

There is no specific professional background or experience required to fill these positions; persons with varied areas of expertise and/or interest are encouraged to apply.

Registered voters interested in volunteering are encouraged to attend their committee meeting of choice by checking the Town’s website, for upcoming meetings or contacting the Town Manager’s office at 781-275-1111.

Volunteers must submit a Volunteer Questionnaire to the Town Manager’s Office; the questionnaire is available at Town Hall, online, or from any member of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee (VCC):  Carol Amick, Patty Carluccio or Joe Piantedosi.

A link on the Town’s VCC web page provides a direct email to VCC members.

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: or 781-430-8827

Share your enthusiasm for this article!

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x