Openings on Bedford’s volunteer governing boards: Is it your turn to serve?

VCC---August-2013Submitted by Patricia Hurd

Bedford’s Town Manager’s office sends word of vacancies on several of Bedford’s volunteer governing boards.

Bedford Housing Authority

An unusual opportunity has arisen for Bedford residents, who may be interested in serving on the Bedford Housing Authority (BHA) and may be considered for an interim appointment before the next election in March, 2014.

The vacancy will be filled at a joint meeting of the remaining Housing Authority Board members and the Selectmen.

Once appointed, the term of the new BHA Board member will end next year, when that position will appear on the Town election ballot in March.  The appointed member may choose to run for election at that time, or retire.

The Bedford Housing Authority is established by State law.  Five members serve on the BHA Board, with one appointed by the Governor and the remaining four elected for five-year terms at March Town elections.  The Authority has a paid Executive Director and other staff, and manages 60 units of elderly housing as well as units of affordable, subsidized rental housing for veterans and families.

Capital Expenditures Committee

In addition, there is a vacancy on one of the most important and active, Town committees — the Capital Expenditure Committee.

The vacancy on the Capital Expenditure Committee (CapEx) will be filled by a different appointing group than the one filling the vacancy on the Housing Authority.  The Chairs of the Selectmen, School Committee and Finance Committee must cast a unanimous vote for the CapEx appointment.  The Capital Expenditure Committee prepares, and annually updates, a six-year plan for spending on town capital projects (i.e., those expected to last more than one year), which is used in financial planning by the Selectmen and Finance Committee.

Additional opportunities

In addition to the vacancies on the Bedford Housing Authority and Capital Expenditure Committee, other committees with current vacancies also are critical parts of Town government.  They include:

  • Arbor Resources
  • Bicycle Advisory
  • Depot Park Advisory
  • Historic District (1 full, 1 alternate)
  • Land Acquisition (3)
  • Transportation Advisory (a “bicycle” interest)
  • Zoning Board of Appeals (1 associate).

There is no specific professional background or experience required to fill these positions; persons with varied areas of expertise and/or interest are encouraged to apply.

Registered voters interested in volunteering are encouraged to attend their committee meeting of choice by checking the Town’s website, for upcoming meetings or contacting the Town Manager’s office at 781-275-1111.  Volunteers must submit a Volunteer Questionnaire to the Town Manager’s Office; the questionnaire is available at Town Hall, click here to download or print the online form, or from any member of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee (VCC):  Carol Amick, Patty Carluccio or Joe Piantedosi.  A link on the Town’s VCC web page provides a direct email to VCC members.

Questions about any of the openings should be directed to the Town Manager’s Office or to the Volunteer Coordinating Committee Chair, Carol Amick, at 781-275-5278.

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: or 781-325-8606

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x