Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
Bedford native Ralph Hammond has long been cared about the ability of walkers and cyclists to traverse Bedford without using local roads, and is carrying his message to groups around town. Click here to read the proposal prototype and learn of the various historic sites on the trails.
In addition to his recent presentation to the Bedford Chamber of commerce, the public is invited to hear Hammond
- make a short presentation to the Selectmen at 7:30 pm on Monday, January 21;
- speak to the Council on Aging at 1 pm on February 5; and
- present a report to the First Parish Lyceum at 10 am on February 9.
If the Board of Selectman approves the Circuit Trail concept, the program could be read yto launch this spring.
Volunteers will be needed as Trails Stewards. There are 39 stewards in place and the list is growing. We are looking for representatives from each of the following Trail Steward types:
- Art Community Representatives – Develop way to promote Bedford’s rich art culture utilizing the Trail Network System.
- Community Business Representatives – Develop ways to integrate business opportunities within the Trail Network System.
- History, Environmental & Geological – To explore, research, and identify key events and features along sections of the trail.
- Maintenance – Periodically walk a section of trail and assist in trimming back the over growth & update markers.
- PR and Promotion – Assist in the promotion and organization of events related to active use of this community resource.
- Safe Routes To School Team – Formal organization of parents and guardians to assist with walking and biking to and from school.
- Surveillance – Periodically walk a section of the trail to identify and report on safety concerns.
- Website and Data base Management – Assist in maintaining the website by collecting and fact checking key information.
Residents interested in becoming Trail Stewards, or helping to promote the concept, should contact Hammond.
To read an earlier Bedford Citizen story about the trails: https://www.thebedfordcitizen.org/2013/11/20/trails-would-open-the-town-to-exploration/