Submitted by the Bedford Lyceum at First Parish on the Common
Bedford residents Disty Pearson and Phil Zuckerman will tell their story about building a library in Laos. After losing their son, Andy, in a motorcycle accident in Laos in 2009, Disty and Phil turned to the Lao community in Lowell, Massachusetts to find meaning through a connection to the Lao people that Andy had loved so much.
Zuckerman said, “We hope to dedicate the library at Wat Phou That in Oudomxay Laos at the end of June. We want to name the library Hosamut Ahn Di.” He went on to explain that Hosamut=Library; Ahn=Read; and Di=Good; and Ahn Di=Andy.
As Andy’s parents were unsuccessfully learning to read and speak Lao, they met a monk who brought them to his home village in northern Laos. There they found a place, high on a hill in a Buddhist Temple, where they could build a living memory of Andy and fill it with books for monks and families.
The Bedford Lyceum cordially invites the community to be a part of this international connection at 9 am on Sunday, May 18, 2014.
First Parish on the Common in Bedford is a Unitarian Universalist congregation that was gathered in 1729; built its historic meeting house in 1815; and was acclaimed as a Breakthrough Congregation by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in 2012. First Parish is fully handicapped-accessible and is located at 75 The Great Road, Bedford, MA. To learn more about the congregation, visit its website at www.uubedford.org or call 781-275-7994.