Submitted by Carla Olson, Healthy Bedford Coordinator
Healthy Bedford is a community initiative striving to make Bedford a healthier place to live and work, where residents and visitors eat well and can be active throughout our community. Through a Wellness Grant made possible with funding by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in partnership with the Metropolitan Area Planning Council we have launched Healthy Bedford /Healthier Dining (HBHD) in order to promote better nutritional options at food establishments in our town.
Healthier Bedford/Healthier Dining is a voluntary program dedicated to encouraging simple, nutritious lifestyle options. Our goal is to encourage better choices, thereby making the healthy choice the easy choice. Any restaurant that offers nutritious meal options and seating in a healthy environment is eligible to participate. To achieve a Healthier Dining status, food establishments must complete a simple, one-page application, which includes providing current adult and child menus. In addition, restaurants must be in compliance with all applicable state sanitary codes and licensing and permit provisions. Participating Partners also agree to:
- Offer at least two choices of fruits and/or vegetables (other than potatoes)
- Allow substitution of salad, a vegetable or fruit for fried potatoes (e.g. French fries) at no extra cost
- Clearly designate low-fat, low-calorie, lower sodium and trans fat free menu items when offered
- Offer 1% milk when milk is offered as a beverage
- Offer tap water free of charge and/or as the default beverage
- Offer some dishes in smaller portion size (e.g., half portion sizes) for a reduced price, entrée sharing at no additional cost, OR a half-meal to go option upon customer request.
Successful applicants will receive a Healthy Bedford/Healthier Dining window decal and recognition for their efforts, including access to free marketing materials and promotional events throughout the year.
Look for the Healthy Dining decals around town, and be sure to patronize our HBHD restaurants!
List of Healthy Bedford/Healthier Dining Establishments to date:
- Dayla’s Restaurant
- Firebox BBQ Grille
- Sparta Restaurant
- Café Luigi
- Melting Pot
- Sora Restaurant
For more information on Healthy Bedford or to apply for Healthy Bedford/Healthier Dining status visit
www.bedfordma.gov/Healthy-Bedford or e-mail Healthy Bedford Coordinator Carla Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org