Submitted by the Bedford Historical Society
In the 1890s, Dr. William Richardson Hayden, proprietor of the health resort at Bedford Springs, replaced his Springs Hotel with the much larger, luxurious Sweetwater Hotel, which stood near Springs Road just north of Fawn Lake.
Its amenities included 300 rooms, a ballroom, and bowling alley.
The resort also included formal gardens, springhouses, and observation tower, stables, a carriageway around Fawn lake, and a steam launch.
A pharmaceutical factory for Dr. Haysen’s patent medicines is still standing and has been converted to condominiums.
The photos show The Sweetwater Hotel, the formal gardens by the edge of Fawn Lake, the observation tower perched on a hill above the lake, and two of three spring houses.
Lakeside, Dr. Hayden’s home, was located along Sweetwater Avenue on the other side of Fawn Lake.
This photo is brought to you courtesy of the Bedford Historical Society. The Society was founded in 1893 and exists today to preserve Bedford’s history. Learn more about the Society at its web page, www.bedfordmahistory.org or on its Facebook page. Visit the Historical Society in its archives in the Bedford Police Station. Contact the Society by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781-275-7276 for hours or directions.