Volunteer Vacancies: Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Committee, Capital Expenditures, and Several Boards

Submitted by Assistant Town Manager  Jessica Porter

Town of Bedford New SealSeveral opportunities for service to the Town have recently come available.

Volunteers are sought for a seat on the

  • Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Committee,
  • Bedford’s Capital Expenditures Committee and
  • other Town Boards and Committees.

Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Committee

There is presently a vacancy on the Shawsheen Valley Technical High School Committee as a result of the recent resignation of one of Bedford’s elected representatives, Ms. Debbie Kostas.

In accordance with the Regional Agreement governing the High School, a vacancy of the shall be filled by joint vote of the Bedford Selectmen, Bedford School Committee and the remaining Bedford representative on the Shawsheen Tech School Committee.  The appointment would be to fill the vacant seat until the next Annual Town Election on March 14, 2015.

Persons interested in appointment are encouraged submit a letter expressing interest in the appointment and attaching a resume or statement of their qualifications for serving on the Shawsheen Tech School Committee.  Please submit this to the Office of the Town Manager at Town Hall, 10 Mudge Way, 275-1111 no later than 4:00 p.m. on September 19, 2014.

Bedford’s Capital Expenditures Committee

A volunteer is needed to fill a vacancy on Bedford’s Capital Expenditures Committee.

The Capital Expenditures Committee prepares, and annually updates, a six-year plan for spending on town capital projects (i.e., those expected to last more than one year), which is used in financial planning by the Selectmen and Finance Committee.

Other Town Board and Committee Vacancies

The activities of the following committees are as divergent as their names.  From preserving the beauty of Bedford, to preparing the Town’s budget for Town Meeting review and approval, or hearing applications for work on private properties in the Center of Town Historic District, each of these committees has vacant positions, and are all important to the functioning of the Town.

  • Arbor Resources Committee
  • Bedford Housing Partnership
  • Depot Park Advisory Committee
  • Historic District Commission
  • Historic Preservation Commission
  • Land Acquisition Committee
  • Petitioner’s Advisory Committee (prefer candidates with municipal legal experience)
  • Transportation Advisory (2 openings)
  • Youth and Family Services Committee

Minutes from each committee are available on the Town of Bedford website.  You are also encouraged to attend meetings for any committees to learn more about what they do and see if it is a good fit for you.  All meetings are open to residents.

How to apply for Bedford’s Capital Expenditures Committee or other Boards and Committees: Residents interested in applying  should contact members of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee by logging onto the VCC page of the Town’s website, www.bedfordma.org, and filling out a Volunteer Questionnaire for one or more position.  Questionnaires are also available from the Town Manager’s office.

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: editor@thebedfordcitizen.org or 781-325-8606

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x