Submitted by Bedford Boy Scout Troop 114
Members of Boy Scout Troop 114, chartered by the F.W. Thompson Masonic Lodge of Bedford assist the Bedford Minuteman Company in staging its annual Pole Capping observance on Saturday, April 11.
The Scouts served as Assistant Parade Marshals on Bedford Commmon, double checking that the marching units are in alphabetical order and assisting in whatever way they can during the muster. After the parade stepped off, they get hurried to Willson Park ahead of the parade, and kept people out of the street until the units formed up around the park, reserving an area at the “apex” of the triangle so that the British re-enactors could double-time into the park and “arrest” the pole climber.
Click the letter of appreciation from the Minuteman Company thanking the Scouts for their assistance.
About Troop 114
Troop 114 participates in community service throughout the year, including but not limited to:
- Transporting VA patients to chapel services on Veterans Day and Memorial Day
- Helping to set up and break down at the Friends of Bedford Free Public Library Book sale, semiannually
- Participation in the Rotary Club of Bedford’s “Pay It Forward” campaign, Meals for Haiti
- Collecting and delivering nonperishable food items to the Bedford Food Pantry
- Helping to stock shelves at the Food Pantry, especially in conjunction with the USPS annual Stamp Out Hunger drive
- T114 Eagle Scout projects have installed improvements at the BHS music department, and
- Installations at the BHS Integrated Preschool PlayZone (including color wheel and water table).
Troop 114 meets every Tuesday at 7 pm at the E.N. Rogers VA Hospital off Springs Rd. Boys aged 11 to 17 who are interested in scouting are encouraged to contact the tropp through its web site, www.troop114.org, which contains a wealth of information.