Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
The long-awaited 2015 PMC Bedford Kids Ride is just a few days away. Riders will gather to hear inspiring talks and then depart from the JGMS parking lot, beginning at 9 am on Saturday, June 13.
What do you need to know to make the day a terrific success for your family?
Registration and Fundraising
If you’re not already signed up, remember that on-line registration closes on Thursday, June 11th at 12pm, and registration fees will increase from $10 to $20. The fundraising minimum is $25, with a suggested donation of $50.
Congratulations to the 21 Heavy Hitters so far! These riders have raised over $250 and will be entered into an exclusive raffle for an opportunity to win an iPad Mini! There’s still time! Enter your fundraising donations on-line or bring them to early check-in or to Ride Day registration on Saturday, June 13th!
Thank you to our 2015 PMC Bedford Kids Ride Sponsors.
And don’t forget that there are delicious PMC Golden Ticket ice cream flavors at Bedford Farms. They’re only available until Saturday, and a portion of each cone, pint and quart you purchase benefits the 2015 ride.
Early Check-In on Thursday from 5 to 8:30 at BHS
Avoid the crowds and check in on Thursday, June 11th from 5pm-8:30pm at Bedford High School. Pick up your t-shirt, water bottle and bike tag and pass in your donations to earn raffle tickets! And, on this night ONLY there’s a BOGO raffle ticket bargain: buy 1 get 2. There will even be lemonade and smoothies donated by bgood.
Saturday’s Schedule at JGMS
- 9:00 am: On-site registration and all bikers arrive to get in their route corrals.
- 9:30 am: Roads close and opening ceremonies begin
- 9:45 am: Riders head out on their routes!
- 10:00 am-1:00 pm: Party with music, food, drinks, activities, raffle and more!
Choose the route that is right for you
- Wally’s Way, an obstacle course for tykes on trikes;
- Yawkey Way, a 1/2 mile route on the premises and perfect for kids on training wheels;
- Green Monster, a 3 mile ride for young adventurous riders;
- Big Papi, a 5 mile ride for more experienced riders;
- Big Papi Slam; a 10 mile ride for those who want a real challenge; and
- Fenway, a 12 mile off-road route that travels the rail bed to Concord (must be entering 6th grade)
Click the 2015 PMC Route Maps for more detail.
Riders will be placed in groups of 10-12 riders with an adult volunteer leader and sweep. Water stops are set up along the routes and volunteers and police officers will be out on the road to cheer on the riders and keep them safe. Be sure to print out the route map to practice the route prior to Ride day. Remember the rules of the road: ride to the right side of the road with traffic (roads are open during the event), be sure to give yourself enough space between other riders, call out to the riders behind you or use hand signals when turning or stopping, ride slow and in control. All riders including adults are required to wear a helmet and to bring their cellphones. Go PMC kids!
2015 Pedal Partner
The 2015 Pan Mass Challenge Bedford Kids Ride is honored to welcome back, Nate Cavallo, as our 2015 Pedal Partner. Nate is courageously undergoing treatments at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Riders and volunteers are sure to be inspired by this amazing young man.
The Ride’s Faceboook page and help to get up to 500 ‘Likes’ before Saturday. It’s one of the best places to get up-to-the-minute news about the ride.
We are on track to have the largest ride ever and to make this event successful we need your help! Please consider registering to volunteer. New this year: All registered volunteers can enter a raffle for an opportunity to win: 2 hours of handyman service donated by Rob’s Handy Home Service or Cruise around in style for a weekend in a Mercedes donated by Mercedes of Burlington
In particular, please consider:
- Set Up – 7-9 am (breakfast treats will be available!)
- Route Leaders – Ride along with your child, their friends and another Route Leader on one of the routes!
- Road Crew – Grab a friend and cheer on and direct the Riders at specific locations along the routes!
All registered riders and volunteers will enjoy
- A fantastic lunch: Burgers and hot dogs from the Bedford Rotary; Flatbread salads; Bedford Farms Ice Cream sundaes sponsored by TD Bank; Chips and salsa from Chipotle, plus Cotton candy and Popcorn
- Amazing activities: Slip & Slide, Bouncy House, Raffles – gift cards, LaserCraze, candy basket, summer fun baskets & more!
- Music, Entertainment and Games from WROR
The 2015 PMC Bedford Kids Ride Committee –Susan DiGangi, Lisa Harrell, Nancy Protasowicki, Kelly Randazzo, Susan Sepe Jenny Stewart, Beth Venuti, Angela Winter — can’t wait to celebrate with you!
Questions? Email the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org