Submitted by the Lexington Department of Public Works
The Minuteman Bike Trail will be under reconstruction between Bedford Street and Wiggins Avenue in Bedford from Sept 21th through October 8thth for paving operations. We will do our best to minimize inconvenience and you should expect delays.
Work will begin at 7:00 am on Monday the 21th and continue through October 9th. Work will be Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to dusk. During this time bicycle traffic is encourage to use detours as shown on the following diagram. Click here for a scalable version of the Minuteman Bike Trail Detour. There are five alternatives for westbound bicycle traffic. Eastbound bicycle traffic should use the same routes in reverse:
Alternative 1: From the Bedford Street closure, this detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Left onto Bedford Street – .68 mi
- Right onto Worthen Road – .38 mi
- Right onto Mass Avenue – 1.01 mi
- Right onto Wood Street – 1.29 mi
- Right onto Hartwell Ave – .78 mi
- Left on to Maguire Road which turns into Summer Street -.37 mi
- Right onto Wiggins Road-.15 mi
Alternative 1A: For traffic coming from Lexington center, bikes can exit the bike trail at Camilla Place behind the fire Station and connect to alternative 1 at Worthen road. – 500 feet
Alternative 2: This detour does involve some none paved areas. From the Bedford Street closure. This detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Left onto Bedford Street – 150 ft.
- Right onto Sunny Knoll – .12 mi
- Right onto Reed Street – .17 mi
- Left onto Garfield street to the end – .26 mi
- Travel along the gravel trail to Cedar street – .27 mi
- Left onto Cedar Street – 275 ft.
- Right onto Martingale – .17 mi
- Right onto Freemont – .26 mi
- Left onto Constitution Road – .17 mi
- Right onto Paul Revere Road – .20 mi
- Right onto Mass Ave and follow the remainder of alternative 1
Alternative 3: For bike traffic coming from Arlington or East Lexington. Avoids the hill on Mass Ave but requires more on-road riding. Exit the bike trail at the Seasons Four Driveway. This detour will be posted with signage at all major junctions.
- Take a left onto the Driveway – 270 ft.
- Left onto Mass Avenue – .31 mi
- Right onto Marrett Road- 1.9 mi
- Right onto School Street – .48 mi
- Left onto Massachusetts Avenue and follow the remainder of alternative 1.
Alternative 4: Not recommended for recreational bicycle users. From the Bedford closure. This detour will not be posted.
- Right onto Bedford Street -1.18 mi
- Bear right into the Jug handle and cross Hartwell at the traffic signal –
- Proceed to the Hartwell Avenue closure – .62 mi
Alternative 5: Not recommended for recreational bicycle users. West bound bicycle traffic coming the town center. This detour will not be posted.
- Right onto Revere Street- 230 ft.
- Left onto Ledgelawn Avenue- .2 mi
- Right onto Hamilton Street- .11 mi
- Go through the roundabout to Burlington Street – .39 mi
- Bear left onto Grove Street .73 mi
- Left onto Eldred Street – .47 mi
- Right onto Bedford Street then follow the remainder of alternative 4.