Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
Indefatigable nonagenarian and former Town Historian John Dodge returns to Great Road to collect coats and gently-used adult clothing for St. Francis House on Saturday, November 21. John is expected to be present from 10 am until noon, but his family will be on site, along with a van from St. Francis House, from 8 am until dusk.
Because of the construction at Bedford Marketplace, John and a truck from St. Francis House will be across the street from his traditional spot, in front of Bedford Funeral Home accepting donations.
A Guideline to Giving, from the St. Francis House Clothing Program
On average, the Saint Francis House Clothing Program serves approximately 50 clothing appointments per day (M-F), that’s 250 full sets of clothing per week. With this in mind, we need to be extremely clear about what we can and cannot accept to ensure an easier sorting process in order to reach our guest’s needs as quickly as possible.
We welcome men’s and women’s clothing of all sizes (large sizes especially)
Items in highest demand include
- Men’s pants (especially jeans – given out on a daily basis)
- Footwear (extremely important)
- Women’s plus size clothing of all types
- Sweaters & Sweatshirts
- Coats, hats, gloves, and scarves
- Backpacks/duffel bags
- New, unused, still packaged socks & undergarments (men’s & women’s)
- T-shirts (extremely important – given out on a daily basis)
- Suits + Sports Coats and Dresses + Skirts
Items to avoid
- We do not accept donations of children’s items or most household goods.
- We do not accept used socks and underwear/undergarments
- We do not distribute items that are damaged or discolored.
To ensure that our resources efficiently reach those in need, and to limit sorting time, please donate items in good condition that are only gently used.
To learn more about St. Francis House, click here!