Submitted by The Bedford Historical Society
The public is invited to attend this event on Sunday afternoon, February 28th, in Upper Fellowship Hall of the First Church of Christ, Congregational, 25 The Great Rd. Refreshments will be served starting at 2 pm, and Kruh’s presentation will begin around 2:30 pm.
Kruh will describe how, by the 1920s, Boston was in “perpetual gridlock” because there was no Central Artery, only small streets for horse-drawn cars and buggies. In 1925, the MA Dept. of Public Works called for a circumferential road around Boston because residents living in northern MA wanted to get to the Cape and residents from southern MA wanted to get to New Hampshire – but all were required to travel through Boston.
Construction of Route 128 – now called Route 95 – began in 1926 and continued on various portions through 1958. Kruh will use a pictorial history to show how family homes were moved or burned down, farm land was divided and the road made numerous twists and turns to accommodate natural geologic features and trees – all in the name of progress.
Kruh, whose day job is Marketing Communications Manager at Analog Devices in Cambridge, enjoys writing as an avocation. Besides writing about Route 128, he has published other books – notably two on Boston’s Scollay Square, as well as plays, movie scripts and numerous articles in the Boston Globe and Herald. For a few years in the mid-1990s, he served as spokesman and webmaster for the Big Dig.