Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
Grab your bikes and join over 450 kids from Bedford and surrounding towns to ride in support of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and its Jimmy Fund on Saturday morning, June 11.
This is Bedford’s 12th PMC Kids Ride, and thanks to our riders and sponsors we have raised just over $1 Million dollars!!
The PMC Kids Ride gives everyone an opportunity to fight back against a disease that takes so much, at so many ages, while simultaneously stressing the importance of raising funds to find a cure for all cancers.
Are you registered yet??? There’s still time!
- Click here to register to ride: http://www.kids.pmc.org/bedford/register-to-ride.aspx
- Click here to register as a volunteer http://www.kids.pmc.org/bedford/register-to-volunteer.aspx
Here’s all the information you’ll need to know for a great day on Saturday:
- 9:00 am – On-site registration and all bikers arrive to get in their route corrals.
- 9:30 am – Roads close and opening ceremonies begin
- 9:45 am – Riders head out on their routes!
- 10:00 am-1:00 pm – Party with music, food, drinks, activities, raffle and more!
ROUTES: You choose a route that is right for you, and check the Bedford route maps to be sure!
- Wally’s Way: An obstacle course for tykes on trikes located on the JGMS tennis courts
- Yawkey Way: A 1/2-mile route around JGMS perfect for kids on training wheels
- Green Monster: A 3-mile ride through neighborhoods of Bedford for young adventurous riders (no training wheels allowed on this route)
- Big Papi: A 5-mile ride through neighborhoods of Bedford for more experienced riders
- Big Papi Slam: A 10-mile ride through trail beds and Bedford neighborhoods for those who want a real challenge
- Fenway: A 12-mile off-road route that travels the rail bed to Concord and back (must be entering 6th grade)
Riders will be placed in groups of 10-12 riders with an adult volunteer leader and sweep. Water stops are set up along the routes and volunteers and police officers will be out on the road to cheer on the riders and keep them safe. Be sure to print out your route map to practice the route prior to Ride day.
RULES OF THE ROAD: Safety is paramount
- Ride to the right side of the road with traffic (roads are open during the event)
- Be sure to give yourself enough space between other riders
- Call out to the riders behind you or use hand signals when turning or stopping
- Ride slow and in control
- All riders, including adults, are required to wear a helmet and to bring their cellphones.
FUNDRAISING: A lot goes into the Kids Ride program so we can work together to raise funds for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in support of cancer research and cures and the best treatments for cancer patients.
- To help the PMC Bedford Kids Ride reach its goal, a minimum fundraising amount of $25 per rider is required. We suggest a fundraising amount of $50 per rider, but many kids raise a lot more than that!
- Riders who raise $250 are considered Heavy Hitters and receive a raffle ticket for the exclusive Heavy Hitter raffle and a chance to win an iPad Mini. All PMC heavy hitters also receive an awesome PMC string bag.
- Riders who raise $750+ become Breakaway Fundraisers and will receive a special New Balance PMC backpack.