Submitted by the PMC Bedford Kids Ride
The rain held out just long enough for over 300 riders and 150 volunteers to complete one of the best annual events in Bedford – the PMC Bedford Kids Ride, kids helping to raise over $60,000 for a great cause, the Jimmy Fund at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
This is the reason we ride: Bedford’s 2016 Pedal Partner Brooklyn Russell endured 18 months of intense treatment at Children’s Hospital and the Jimmy Fund battling Neuroblastoma. We are happy to report that at the completion of her therapy, she continues to stay NED (no evidence of disease) and will continue with oncologist appointments every 3months.
Many thanks to all who made the 2016 PMC Bedford Kids Ride possible
Our Volunteer Team Leaders
- Co-chairs Nancy Gilroy and Tara Goss
- Committee team members Nicole Abair, Anna Craver, Judy Craver, Laura Keating, Tracy Norman, Elisabeth Piquet, Marty Rogers and Jane Wilkinson. Everyone pulled together to ensure a fun, safe event that all families could enjoy.
Our Corporate Sponsors
- Hope Sponsor: The Inn at Hastings Park
- Believe Sponsors: Paul Birch (in memory of his brother Ian Birch), Chestnut Dental Associates, The Gilroy Family (in memory of their beloved, Andrew Cross), The Goddard School, Higgins Group REALTORS and TD Bank.
- Courage Sponsors: Peter and Linda Marion.
- Inspire Sponsors: Bedford Children Center, Bedford Farms, the Bemis Family, Callahan’s Karate, The Centres of Burlington, Clearview Health Partners and Somerset Industries.
- In-Kind Sponsors: Armstrong Ambulance, Bedford DPW, Bedford Fire Dept., Bedford Police Dept., Bedford Rotary, Bedford Boy Scouts, The Boston Bruins, The Boston Celtics, The Boston Red Sox, Bruegger’s Bagels, Chip-in Farm, Chipotle, Creative Images Boston, Dunkin Donuts, Friends of the PMC, iRobot, King’s Bowling, Papa Gino’s, Penske Truck, the Plamondon Family and Heidi Spurling.
The countless guardian angels who stepped up to help make the day a success, including
- Ron Undzis from the Bedford Police Department who had his team at the ready.
- Mark Sullivan from the Bedford Fire Department who arranged for his team and Armstrong Ambulance to be on the mark for any emergencies.
- Bedford Rotary members Peter Colgan, Ralph Hammond, Cliff Rober and Kevin Sullivan worked to ensure funding for the hot dogs and assist in serving them.
- Dave at JGMS ensured none of our early registration members or riders were dehydrated.
- John (Master Griller) Fernald and Jason (JJ) Liu, Boy Scouts who came to our aid with their industrial-sized grill.
- Tim French and the team from the Bedford of Department of Public Works ensured that every route was pristine and safe for all our riders.
- Paul Quatrale, also from the Bedford DPW, helped set up the generator and power the cotton candy machine.
And, at least two last-minute heroes
- The woman of the hour had to be Amy Cook. She volunteered to “help” and ended up as our only volunteer who knew how to make and serve cotton candy!
- “Bedford Guy” and Lexington Minuteman Peter Ricci ran interference on the Fenway route when our riders were leaving the Old Manse in Concord at the same time that another fundraising walk was returning. Peter’s inestimable skills kept each group headed in the right direction.