Submitted by the Bedford Police Department
“Though the ease of online shopping is appealing, remember to schedule a delivery time that works for you,” Chief Bongiorno said, “If you are travelling over the holidays, plan to postpone your deliveries so that your packages aren’t left on an empty doorstep.”
- Request notifications on your deliveries, via phone or email, to monitor your packages in transit and upon delivery.
- Always require a signature on your deliveries to ensure packages are never left unattended.
- Consider sending deliveries to an alternate location where someone will be able to receive them- whether that be a workplace, a neighbor of friend’s house, or a FedEx or UPS location.
- Schedule your delivery for a specific date and time that you’re expected to be home.
- Set up a vacation hold if you plan on traveling during the holidays so gifts won’t be left on the doorstep.
If you find your package has been stolen, reach out to Bedford Police and report it immediately. Unfortunately, if the item was not insured, it’s unlikely that you will get it back.
Never accept a surprise delivery where a payment is required, and never give out personal information when receiving a delivery that you purchased