Submitted by Fire Chief David Grunes
The state regulated outdoor burning season is from January 15th through May 1st.
A written burning permit must be obtained from the Fire Department prior to burning. The permit is available from the administration side of the fire station located at 55 The Great Rd. Burning permits can be obtained Monday through Friday from 8am – 3pm.
Once you have obtained this written permit you must call 781- 275-7262 x 161 each day that you want to burn to find out if outdoor burning is allowed for that day and leave your permit number and your address.
Permits may also be obtained through the department website found on www.bedfordma.gov. If you have obtained a burning permit in the past, your permit number will remain the same. Please call the fire station with any questions, 781-275-7262×100.
The following is an overview of the regulations:
- A permit will be required for permission to burn.
- Burning will be allowed from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. ALL FIRES MUST BE EXTINGUISHED BY 4:00 PM.
- Burning must be at least 50 feet from all dwelling units.
- No starters, such as gasoline or tires, may be used.
- No hay, grass, leaves, whole trees, stumps, carpentry debris, building debris, paper or rubbish may be burned at any time.
- Burning must be conducted without causing a hardship or nuisance to others.
- A means of extinguishing the fire must be available at all times, and the fire must never be left unattended.
- No burning may commence after 2:00 pm on any given day.
For a full set of applicable rules please visit the department website, www.bedfordma.gov