By Patty and Steve Dahlgren
It’s been 8 days since the Bedford Special Selectman’s Meeting; 8 days since the Hanscom Field Repaving Project invaded our streets; and 8 days since I sent Amber Goodspeed – Manager, Airport AdministrationMassport, Hanscom Field the questions that she publically committed to answering.
Selectman Mike Rosenberg and Representative Ken Gordon both reached out to Massport to encourage a response. Finally, an anonymous reply:“My apologies for the delay, I am working on this for you.”
Are they difficult, unexpected or unusual questions? You decide.
1. A copy of the contractor rules. Two trucks stopped today (8/1) by police leaving the base on roads not part of the route said they were never given a specific route by Massport to follow. You told us that the contractors drove the routes in advance. Massport has committed to resolving issues brought to its attention. Since now we have identified a problem, please provide a copy of the Massport’s communication to your contractors to rectify this.
2. What are the criteria the Massport Planning Committee used to determine that this project “did not meet for community input and advance notification?” Please provide me with a copy of the FAA finding and the criteria as requested.
3. What are the allocated funds in the budget for Police Details? This was asked last night, as well as by me, in advance. Please provide the dollar amount Massport has allocated in this budget for police details. If the number is inadequate, do Bedford residents pick up the bill?
4. What funds (specific dollar amount) has Massport allocated in the budget for the repairs, post project?
5. Will all trucks leaving the construction site with debris containing silica be washed prior to entering residential streets? Please provide the Tracking Prevention Plan and confirm in writing that no truck carrying debris will be permitted on residential streets without it.
6. I asked for Automatic Traffic Counters at the contractor’s entrance to Hanscom for each route. The jump from the announced 1,300 to 4000 trips (on 7/31 at the meeting) justifies this without question.
The day the true scope of this project became clear, our Bedford Town Officials mobilized to respond and mitigate the impact. I think it’s time for Massport to be the good neighbor the Town of Bedford is, and answer the questions. Call Amber Goodspeed and ask her to answer the questions. 781-869-8060.