Submitted by the Bedford Fire Department
The Fire and Police departments are responding to these calls as they are received. We need residents to stay clear of all downed wires and consider them live. There has been instances in the past of wires being re-energized while they are still on the ground.
Below is additional electrical safety information.
Avoid touching or approaching a fallen power line
Downed power lines are dangerous. Never touch them. For safety’s sake, always assume that a fallen power line is live, and follow these guidelines:
- Avoid touching the downed line with your hand or an object, such as a stick, broom or pole.
- Avoid touching anything, such as a car, object or equipment, or anyone who is in contact with a fallen power line.
- Keep children and pets away from fallen electric lines.
- Avoid driving over a fallen power line.
- Call 911 immediately to report a fallen power line.