By Bruce Murphy, for the Bedford Board of Assessors
Normally the tax rate certification process for the town of Bedford is completed prior to the distribution of the third quarter property tax bills. This year, due to administrative delays, the tax rate certification process will be completed prior to the distribution of the fourth quarter tax bills.
The Board of Assessors wants to make sure that the taxpayers of Bedford are aware of a number of impacts that this delay will have.
- Your third quarter bill will be a preliminary bill and will be the approximately same as your bill for the first and second quarter.
- Normally, any billing adjustments due to the new tax rate are distributed equally between the third and fourth quarter bill. This year all of the adjustments will occur in the fourth quarter bill.
- Water/sewer liens and betterments that normally would be split between the third and fourth quarters will be shown entirely in the fourth quarter bill.
- Any exemptions or abatements granted will be posted on your fourth quarter Real Estate Tax bill.
- The deadline for filing for Property Tax Exemptions will be moved to May 1, 2018.
- The filing period for Property Tax Abatements will begin after the distribution of the fourth quarter tax bill. The deadline for the filing period for Property Tax Abatements will be May 1, 2018.
- The assessors have three months from the date your application is filed to make a determination regarding abatements, so, this year the abatement request review period will be during the months of May, June, and July.
If you have any questions, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 781-275-0046.
Please watch this and the other local news outlets for any additional updates regarding this.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.