Submitted by MassDOT
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has announced that the Route 225 Bedford Road Bridge over the Concord River in Bedford/Carlisle will be closed to all vehicular traffic between the hours of 8:00 p.m., and 5:00 a.m., on the evenings of Sunday, April 15, through Thursday, April 19. These traffic impacts are necessary to allow crews and contractors to safely and effectively remove the asphalt wearing surface on the bridge in preparation of installing a new surface.
Editor’s Note: In May, the bridge will be dedicated to the memory of two Bedford soldiers lost in Iraq – Click here to read the story.
Additional future overnight closures, as well as daytime lane closures, will be necessary to allow crews to carry out operations such as concrete deck repairs and installation of the new asphaltic wearing surface. These operations are expected to occur later in April and May and more information will be provided on expected traffic impacts.
The following detour routes will be in place during the overnight hours on April 15th through 19th. 8 PM to 4 AM.:
Route 225 Westbound (Carlisle Road)
- All vehicular traffic will be detoured at the intersection of North Road and Carlisle Road onto Route 4 (North Road) northbound.
- Vehicles should continue on Route 4 North Road in Bedford, which then transitions to Chelmsford Road in Bedford and Nashua Road in Billerica.
- Then turn left onto Treble Cove Road (heading southwest) in Billerica, which becomes Maple Street in Carlisle.
- Then turn left onto Maple Street at the intersection of East Street.
- Then turn left onto Maple Street at the intersection of Brook Street.
- The detour ends at the intersection of Route 225 Bedford Street in Carlisle.
Route 225 Eastbound (Bedford Road)
- All vehicular traffic will be detoured at the intersection of Bedford Road and Maple Street in Carlisle onto Maple Street heading northeast.
- Then turn right onto Maple Street at the intersection of Brook Street.
- Then turn right onto Maple Street at the intersection of East Street.
- Maple Street in Carlisle then transitions to Treble Cove Road in Billerica.
- Then turn right on Route 4 southbound (Nashua Road in Billerica).
- Route 4 Nashua Road in Billerica then transitions to Chelmsford Road in Bedford, and then North Road in Bedford.
- The detour ends at the intersection of Route 225 Carlisle Road in Bedford.