Special to The Bedford Citizen
Representative Ken Gordon is accepting applications for college level internships in his office during Summer 2019. Internships at the State House are unpaid. Any college student is welcome to apply. Applicants with a connection to the Rep. Gordon’s district, (Bedford, Burlington, or Wilmington) will be given preference.
While each internship is unique and largely reflects the interests of the intern, the following provides a broad outline of the program:
- Summer internships run from mid-June to the first week of August – Interns will work from the State House 2-3 days per week
- Summer interns have the opportunity to attend daily briefings given by Massachusetts political, non-profit, and business leaders and network with other student interns and staff
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Assisting staff in legislative matters: Policy research ; Drafting letters of support for bills the Rep. has co-sponsored ; Bill summaries; Attending legislative briefings and hearings; Executing a long-term research project:
- Interns will select a policy area of interest to research. The project summarizes a problem, explores possible policy solutions (including other states’ solutions or international solutions) and proposes a solution for Massachusetts. Meaningful final projects are between 6-10 written pages or an equivalent presentation. Past examples include work on driverless cars, water permitting, transportation within the Rep’s district, health programs in prisons, and the opioid crisis.
- Interns will meet with Representative Gordon on a weekly basis to discuss their project
Interested applicants should submit the following to Cody.Case@mahouse.gov by April 30th:
- A resume
- A cover letter detailing interest in an internship at the State House
- A 2 – 4 page writing sample
If you have any questions, please call 617-722-2575 or send an email to Cody.Case@mahouse.gov.