Compiled by The Bedford Citizen
Of the caucus nominees running for office in Bedford’s 2019 Town Election, there are residents who’ve lived in Bedford just a few years, and others whose grandparents lived here. There are members of multiple faith traditions. Several of the candidates have young children in the Bedford schools, and others’ children are grown and living away from home.
Most are incumbents with a smattering of new candidates. Each has a particular focus for their campaign: the environment; traffic; mental health issues; spreading a love of literature through the community; possible budget constraints in the face of rising needs; opportunities for intellectual and cultural enrichment; the deliberative beauty of Town Meeting, Bedford’s ‘legislature’; anticipating the future while keeping what is special about the past without freezing Bedford in time; zoning and business; supporting adjustments to attitudes around diversity in our schools; the impact of municipal decisions; as well as accessibility, livability, and inclusivity.
The Bedford Citizen encourages you to click through the following links and read about each of the Caucus Nominees running for office in the 2019 Town Election on March 9.
Board of Assessors – One 3-year term
- R. Bruce Murphy (I), Learn more about Bruce Murphy
Board of Health – One 3-year term
- Bea Brunkhorst (I), Learn more about Bea Brunkhorst
Bedford Housing Authority – One 5-year term
- Lauren Crews
Library Trustee – Two 3-year terms
- Elizabeth Hacala (I) ~ Learn more about Elizabeth Hacala
- Abby Hafer (I) ~ Learn more about Abby Hafer
- Gyasi Burks-Abbott ~ Learn more about Gyasi Burks-Abbott
- Alma Hart ~ Learn more about Alma Hart
Shawsheen Regional School District — One 3-year term
- 1 Vacancy
Moderator – One 3-year term
- Cathy Cordes, (I) ~ Learn more about Cathy Cordes
Planning Board – One 1-year term
- Mark Siegenthaler (I) ~ Learn more about Mark Siegenthaler
Planning Board – Two 3-year terms
School Committee – Two 3-year terms
- JoAnn Santiago (I) ~ Learn more about JoAnn Santiago
- 1 vacancy
Selectmen – Two 3-year terms
- Bill Moonan (I) ~ Learn more about Bill Moonan
- Chris Gittins ~ Learn more about Chris Gittins
- Emily Mitchell ~ Learn more about Emily Mitchell
* (I) indicates an incumbent running for an additional term
Wednesday, January 16: The last day for candidates to return nomination papers to the Town Clerk for certification by the Board of Registrars to run as a candidate in the March 8 election.