Submitted by the Bedford Historical Society
In the summer of 1630, a thousand people with dwindling supplies of food and medicine stepped off their boats into the wilderness. These early Massachusetts settlers lived in caves or wigwams or tents; food began to run out. In winter, Boston Harbor froze solid for two months. Almost half of the original Puritans died or fled back to England during these early, dangerous years when the only occupants of the area that became Bedford would have been native Americans. How the early English settlers survived in the place that became the City of Boston will be the subject of an illustrated talk by John Morrison, Trustee and Treasurer of the Partnership of Historic Bostons (PHB), on Sunday, March 24.
This program will be held in Upper Fellowship Hall of the First Church of Christ, Congregational, 25 The Great Rd. A refreshment period will run from 2-2:30 pm, followed by announcements by Society President Don Corey. Mr. Morrison will begin his talk shortly thereafter.
The program is free and open to the public.
Mr. Morrison, an Arlington resident, grew up in an 1810 house in Waltham, watching and helping his parents restore it. Over the last decade, he has continued his exploration of architecture and history. He researches original sources and has written two tours for PHB; he currently is working on his third. In addition to writing and giving walking tours for PHB, he has lectured on New England history for Boston by Foot and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. He is also a Civil War re-enactor.