Submitted by the Department of Public Works
The Bedford Department of Public Works has scheduled summer roadway reconstruction projects for several locations, starting in mid-July 2019 with Davis Road and the section of Great Road between Loomis Street and Bacon Road.
Different paving methods will be employed for various roads: Cold in Place, Cape Seal, and Reclamation.
Cold in Place
This new pavement restoration technique grinds off approximately 6 inches of the existing asphalt, rejuvenates the material and immediately repaves the roadway. In addition to recycling the material in place, this process allows traffic to be back on the roadway within an hour. However, the roadway must then have the final course of asphalt applied a week later.
- Davis Road July 15 – August 5
- Great Road from Loomis Street to Bacon Road July 18 – August 5 Finish paving of Great Road will be Sunday night, August 4th from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM. During this overnight operation, Great Road will be detoured from South Road to Loomis Street.
This is a multi-step process used on roadways that have some delamination, but are otherwise structurally sound. After the major cracks are sealed, a thin layer of emulsion and chipstone is applied and rolled in place. Traffic will continue to set the stone for about a week, after which the final overlay will occur.
- Dudley Road from North Road to Pickman Drive
- South Road from Summer Street to Tilden Street
- Summer Street
This process is one of DPW’s routine methods for reconstructing neighborhood roadways. After the manholes are lowered, the pavement is pulverized, graded, and resurfaced in two courses.
- Glenridge Drive area including Candlewick Lane, Cedar Lane, Hillcrest Road, Karen Drive, and Notre Dame Road
- Hemlock Lane/Hilltop Drive
- Noreen Drive/Ridgewood Lane
Please check the DPW website for actual start dates or call (781) 275-7605 if you have any questions or need additional information.