Wax your skis or pull on your snow boots – this week’s snow won’t get in the way of a great time!
There’s plenty of varied holiday fun to be had in Bedford on Saturday and Sunday, December 7 and 8. A snowy walk in the woods, holiday fairs, a laser light show, and then twinkling white lights on Bedford Common with the arrival of a visitor from the Far North on Saturday. And on Sunday, Breakfast with Santa and a Holiday House Tour.
Saturday, December 7
Starting at 9 am on Saturday, head to Pine Hill Road for the annual St. Paul’s Advent Fair where you’ll find holiday gifts, crafts, treats, kids’ activities, and even a white elephant or two.
Bring snowshoes if you want to join the Trails Committee’s hike through the Minnie Reid Conservation Area. Led by Dan Hurwitz, hikers should meet in the library parking lot at 9:45 am before heading to the trail.
Clayful Expressions’ Holiday Open Studio will feature work by ceramic artist Therese Dieble and Sheldon Maloney on both Saturday and Sunday.
The Friends of the Library’s Holiday Book Sale begins at 1 pm in the library and reopens on Sunday afternoon.
The Christmas Bazaar at First Baptist Church on Concord Road opens at 2 pm, the event closes with a Carol Sing at 4:30 pm.
At 2 pm, find your way to First Parish on Bedford Common to hear the Back Bay Ringers’ holiday concert
Thanks to the Recreation Department there will be a Free Winter Laser Light Show at the John Glenn Middle School Auditorium, 99 McMahon Rd, beginning at 3:30.
Caution: Due to the Tree Lighting Celebration, there is a Parking Ban on Elm Street between The Great Road & Maple Street from 4 – 6 pm.
The Bedford Walkabout kicks off at 4 pm with participating businesses in Town Center and at Old Town Hall.
It will be Tree Lighting time when the belfry clock strikes 5 and Citizen of the Year Jeff Hoyland flips the switch to illuminate the trees on Bedford Common. Shortly after the lights blaze, a Special Visitor from the North Pole arrives atop Engine 1, with treats and hearty wishes for a joyous holiday season.
Sunday, December 8
On Sunday morning, get to Bedford High School between 9 am and noon for the Rotary Club of Bedford’s annual Breakfast with Santa. The jolly fellow will be waiting to greet your family, and there will be balloons, crafts, and photos.
Then on Sunday afternoon, the Bedford Chamber of Commerce / Suzanne and Co. Holiday House Tour, with a horse-drawn wagon to ferry visitors from one home to the next, will delight visitors with holiday decorations.
About Bedford’s 4th Annual Winter Walkabout
Bedford Recreation, Economic Development, and Healthy Bedford in collaboration with the Bedford Chamber of Commerce invite you to walk our Town Center, enjoy the lights, shop and dine at local businesses, and celebrate the arrival of winter.
Last year, Brooke Shamon called the event Bedford’s Stars Hollow moment.
These participating Bedford businesses are just a short stroll from the Common:
- Barrett Sotheby’s International Realty of Bedford, 49 Great Road ~ Free pictures with Santa & cider
- Bedford Fire Station, 55 Great Road ~ Hot Chocolate & Toys for Kids collection site
- Bedford Free Public Library, 7 Mudge Way ~ Book Sale, 1 to 4 pm,
- Bedford Police Station, 2 Mudge Way ~ Open House from 11 am to 2 pm
- Clayful Expressions Open Studios, 14 Springs Road ~ Guest artist, woodworker Sheldon Maloney ~ Serving candy
- Corner Antiques, 53 Great Road
- First Parish on Bedford Common ~ Serving hot chocolate
- KB Jewelers, 68 Great Road ~ Serving pastries, offering raffles and a store discount
- Suzanne and Company, 90 Great Road ~ Brass band & Barrelhouse Z beer garden (21+)
- WearOvers, 119 Great Road ~ sparkling cider
- Yoga Nova, 51 Great Road ~ cookies and hot apple cider
The Chamber of Commerce will host a ‘Shop Local’ event in the Great Room on the third floor at Old Town Hall
- Great Road Gallery
- Bedford Rotary
- Class of 2021
- Middlesex Community College
- Pink Sky
- Bedford TV
- Bernardo Faria Academy
- Red Heat
- Express Pizza
- Callahan Karate
- Hanscom Federal Credit Union
- Middlesex Savings Bank
- Patriot Pediatrics
Bundle up, put on your skis or your favorite walking boots, and join the festivities!