A little over a month in, the food bank is going strong at JGMS and hoping to reach as many residents as possible. The food bank opened on March 20 to serve families of Bedford Public School students, senior citizens, vulnerable residents, and previous clients of the Bedford Food Pantry.
Bedford’s Food Bank hopes to continually increase the number of residents they are able to serve as the pandemic persists and financial burdens grow. The Food Bank is now open to more residents.
Any member of the Bedford community facing food insecurity may utilize the Food Bank. Pre-registration is not required, residents should simply follow the same directions listed below, arriving at JGMS between 1 and 3 pm on Fridays.
The Food Bank is staffed by members of various town departments, as well as volunteers from the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). Fire Chief David Grunes and Captain John Daniels are pleased with the Food Bank’s success in providing food to members of the Bedford community.
The Food Bank is subsidized by the USDA, the Greater Boston Food Bank, and donations to Bedford’s Emergency Relief Fund. While the food bank is not currently asking for food donations or volunteers due to sanitary and confidentiality concerns, financial donations are more than welcome. Donations to the Emergency Relief Fund can be made here.
Who Does the Bedford Food Bank serve?
- Bedford Public School families in need of food support (including, but not limited to, students currently on free or reduced breakfast and lunch)
- Previously identified vulnerable seniors and veterans
- Existing clients of the Bedford Food Pantry, as well as
- Any members of the community facing food insecurity
If you are a Bedford resident who is homebound due to age or disability and require food assistance, contact
- Council on Aging Social Worker Danika Castle at 781-275-6825 (residents 60 years of age and older) or
- Community Social Worker Chris Bang at 781-918-4328 (residents under age 60).
If you need help with other errands
- Amy Mason at the Bedford Neighbor Brigade, BedfordMA@neighborbrigade.org or 781-526-5269
What is included in the food bags?
Families seeking support for school-aged children
- Bags will include five days’ worth of children’s breakfast and lunch fixings, and a few additional items to support the entire family and will be distributed by school administrators at the JGSM drive-thru Food Bank.
Vulnerable seniors, Veterans, and existing clients of the Bedford Food Pantry
- Bags will contain goods for meal preparation, including proteins, grains, and produce.
Other residents in need will receive supplementary food items
When did the Food Bank begin, and where is it held?
The Bedford Food Bank began on Friday, March 20, 2020. It is held at John Glenn Middle School and will continue on Fridays until further notice. Food bags will be distributed from 1 pm to 3 pm.
The Food Bank will operate primarily on a drive-thru basis, with limited exceptions for residents who are on foot. Those utilizing the food bank cannot park their car and walk up to the site.
Residents should enter John Glenn Middle School by Railroad Avenue. McMahon Road will be used for exiting only.
There will be a separate Food Bank delivery system for homebound seniors, and disabled, residents. If you are a homebound resident, and in need of food assistance, please e-mail email@example.com.
Please be mindful, the Bedford Food Bank service is intended for Bedford residents and families in need and facing food insecurity.
Questions about the food bank ~ Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW CAN I HELP? CAN I DONATE?
To ensure the health, safety, confidentiality, and privacy of our residents most in need, the Town cannot accept food donations, or volunteers to staff the food bank.
If you are able, the Town welcomes financial donations to support the Food Bank
- Electronic Donations ~ Please click on Donate Here
- Donate by Check ~ If you do not want to donate online, checks can be mailed to Town of Bedford Emergency Relief Fund, c/o Finance Department, 10 Mudge Way, Bedford, MA 01730