Bedford Free Public Library Director Richard Callaghan offers tips to residents seeking to borrow books via the new contact-free ‘Grab and Go’ program that debuted on Tuesday, June 23:
- Visit our catalog to place holds on Bedford materials – when you receive an email that your items are ready, go to Bedford Contact Free Pickup to schedule a contact-free curbside pickup. Just select an available time slot.
- Please arrive during your 30-minute window to get your materials. Items for pick up will be on tables next to the main entrance on the driveway side. Each pickup will be in paper bags labeled with your name and last four numbers of your library card. All the items will be checked out to you so just grab and go!
- If you have returns, the book drop next to the main doors is open.
- Call us at 781-275-9440 if you prefer to schedule your pickup over the phone.
- If you have any questions, PLEASE give us a call. We would be happy to walk you through the process or schedule the pickup for you.
Thank you for your patience. We look forward to serving you again.
Grab & Go FAQs
I’ve just reserved a book, when can I come to pick it up?
You will be notified by email or phone when it is “Ready for Pickup.” You can then schedule a convenient pickup time by going to Bedford Contact Free Pickup with your library card and pin.
How long will it take to get my item?
We are only able to fulfill holds on items owned by Bedford that are currently in the building. There is no delivery between libraries at the moment. This may result in a delay or limited availability of placed holds. If it is available and in the building, we should have it ready in 24 hours. As we have limited staff this time range could vary.
When will my items be due?
There will be a due date receipt in the bag with your material. We are not charging fines at this time.
I have materials to return, where can I leave them?
You may return print (books and magazines) and AV items (movies, audiobooks, music, and computer games) in our book drop at any time. It will be emptied regularly. The material will be quarantined for 3 days. After the quarantine period, the material will be checked in. No fines will be charged during our Covid closure period.
For Library of Things items and other material that won’t fit in the book drop, please use the gray bin under the book drop slot only when we are open (M-F 9-5.) Please call us at 781-275-9440 to let us know that something is in the bin.
Can I come into the Library to browse or use the public computers?
For health and safety reasons, we are not able to welcome you into the building at this time. It is our goal to help you in any way we can. We can do research and print documents – just give us a call.