March 19, 2021
- One (1) new COVID-19 positive case at John Glenn Middle School (JGMS case #15). Close contacts have been identified.
- Two (2) new COVID-19 positive cases at Bedford High School (BHS cases #51 & 52). No close contacts.
- There are currently three (3) active COVID-19 positive cases in the JGMS community and two (2) active COVID-19 positive cases in the Bedford High School community.
- The new BHS cases do not appear to be connected to or related to previous cases identified in the schools.
- For the new JGMS case, while this case is not indicative of in-school transmission, the impacted individual has had an out-of-school connection with a previous JGMS case.
Today I was informed of one (1) new case of COVID-19 within the John Glenn Middle School Community and two (2) new cases of COVID-19 within the Bedford High School community. All of these cases are now in isolation at home. JGMS Case #15 was present in school during their infectious period and close contacts have been identified and instructed to quarantine. BHS cases #51 & 52 were NOT present in school during their infectious period and investigations determined that there were no close contacts in the high school community. Information on close contact identification, contacting tracing, and where and when to get tested, can be found in our FAQ.
We remind parents/guardians/caregivers that it is imperative that all Bedford Public School students be evaluated for symptoms of COVID-19 each day before sending them off to school. Teachers and school staff are required to do the same self-evaluation for symptoms. These measures, taken in combination, greatly reduce the risk of transmission.
We will continue to be vigilant in adhering to all of the protocols that have been put in place in an effort to continue in-person learning via our current hybrid model. We are also providing remote learning for all students required to quarantine at home to continue to provide instruction, structure, and an emotional connection to the classroom during a time that we know will be challenging for those children and families involved.
We are committed to continuous communication with and support of our families. If there is additional transmission as a result of these cases or a separate case, the Bedford Health Department Staff and School Nurses will immediately begin a case investigation to determine close contacts of any cases and conduct appropriate notifications to any impacted school community members so as to initiate proper quarantine. Thank you for your continued support.
Wishing you continued health,