As an Italian-American I am all too aware of the unrelenting attacks Columbus Day undergoes yearly. While several books have been published by scholars either countering the attacks on Columbus (ex “Columbus and the Quest for Jerusalem” by Carol Delaney), or proving Howard Zinn wrong (ex: “Debunking Howard Zinn” By Mary Graber) and fact based websites have been created to educate the public (ex: KnowColumbus.org), these attempts have done little to relent the attacks on Italian-Americans. Yes, I said attacks on Italian-Americans, not Columbus.
Italian-Americans observe Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage and contributions made to this country. From the many Italian explorers that came after Columbus to map out the Americas, to Filippo Mazzei’s inspirational words that helped shape our constitution, that “All men are by nature equally free and independent”, to the works of Constantino Brumidi whose paintings beautify the Senate and House Chambers and the Capitol Building’s rotunda, to the Piccirilli brothers who carved the “Seated Lincoln” in Lincoln Memorial, to Amadeo Giannini who found Bank of America, to Enrico Fermi who was the first to split the atom at Columbia University and lead the Manhattan Project, to Antonio Meucci the true inventor of the first telephone, and other contributions that are too countless to list in this letter, one thing is evident: Throughout history Italians have made great contributions to America and the world!
And now our one-day to bring these accomplishments to light, and celebrate our heritage with pride, is being taken away from us every year. It is obvious that when people call to abolish Columbus Day it is an attack on Italians, our culture, our heritage, and all contributions made by our immigrant forefathers. How can it not be? It’s not like they’re asking to rename the day Italian Heritage Day. No, they’re taking the day completely away from us and this is nothing short of discrimination!
Fact is scholars have proven that Christopher Columbus is accused of crimes committed by his political adversaries and actions of leaders that came after him. Historical research shows that Columbus advocated for the rights of Indigenous People and punished his own men when they committed crimes against the Natives. Time and again writings show that Columbus hoped to peacefully convert Native Americans to Christianity through teaching and peaceful means. By Papal law, once people converted to Christianity they could not be enslaved so how could he possibly have intended to pursue slavery? Yet it seems the flames of uneducated riotous mobs continue to dictate the course of this country as they strong-arm leaders to capitulate to their zealous screams and unjustly take this day of recognition away from Italian-Americans by slandering Christopher Columbus!
A vote for Columbus Day is a vote for education, a vote for truth, and a vote for the Italian-American Community. Native American Heritage Day is Nov 26, 2021. November is Native American Heritage Month. Globally Indigenous People’s Day is recognized as August 9th. As Italian-Americans, we ask only for ONE day to celebrate our heritage and contributions. Are we not worthy of that?
For your convenience, I’ve included the below links to scholarly resources so you can continue your education on Christopher Columbus and see through the lies being perpetrated against the Italian-American community. Please do not turn your backs to these truths:
- Rediscovering Columbus: Evidence That Topples the Wall of Lies Around Him https://franoi.com/columbus/rediscovering-columbus/
- Columbus: Fact vs. Fiction: https://www.osia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Columbus05_factvsfiction.pdf
- VIDEO: In Defense of Columbus: An Exaggerated Evil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEw8c6TmzGg
- VIDEO: Columbus: Facts vs. Fiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOcXLHj6kQ
- Columbus and the Quest for Jerusalem: https://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Quest-Jerusalem-Religion-Voyages/dp/1439102376/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Columbus+and+the+Quest+for+Jerusalem&qid=1615916072&sr=8-1 If you don’t have time to read the book here’s an article on its research: https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2020/10/12/critics-of-columbus-day-get-history-wrong-scholar-says-2/
- VIDEO: Interviewing Stanford University professor Carol Delany https://youtu.be/HzezYlARIcU?t=24
- Christopher Columbus The Hero: Defending Columbus From Modern Day Revisionism: https://www.amazon.com/Christopher-Columbus-Hero-Defending-Revisionism/dp/1548738123/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=christopher+columbus&qid=1615915539&sr=8-4
- Exposing the lies of Christopher Columbus: http://www.officialchristophercolumbus.com/
- Debunking Howard Zinn: https://www.amazon.com/Debunking-Howard-Zinn-Exposing-Generation/dp/1684511526/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Debunking+Howard+Zinn&qid=1615917195&sr=8-1
- “Debunking Zinn’s Lies About Columbus” by Rich Disilvio: http://www.columbusthetruth.org/Documents/DebunkingtheZinnMethodologyRich%20Disilvio.pdf
- A Realistic Historical Perspective on Christopher Columbus: http://www.columbusthetruth.org/Documents/ARealisticHistoricalPerspectiveonChristopherColumbusSteveByas.pdf
And many more… http://www.columbusthetruth.org/links.htm