Letter to the Editor: Opposing Change to Name of Columbus Day

I find it difficult to believe that there can exist in our society the notion that the stalwart efforts of Christopher Columbus throughout his life to advance the Mexican religious culture of his day, (as well as that of our own land), should be cast aside for the false accusations relating to slavery that have been launched against him in schools for decades, (and more recently by several organizations that do not have the interests of our great nation at heart).

I, therefore, suggest that every right-thinking Citizen strongly oppose the latest local push to remove Columbus Day from our long tradition of holiday remembrances!

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: editor@thebedfordcitizen.org or 781-325-8606

Notify of
guest

8 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
T. Traub
T. Traub
1 year ago

It was debated, with prepared speeches from both sides (I spoke off the cuff to oppose the change) and then the people voted as per their preconceived notions.

It’s a shame that the more traditional-minded, conservative citizens of the town don’t bother to show up, and relegate such decisions to the 80% liberal Democrats who turn out for every town meeting.

Watch for initiatives in the next couple of years to rename or eliminate Pole Capping Day, Thanksgiving, and Predidents Day. After all, the European colonizers were oppressors.

Neil
Neil
1 year ago

“Advance Mexican religious culture” is a very funny way of putting spains integrated effort to completley eradicate indiginous beliefs and peoples and force them into catholicism. Its incredible one can openly and shamelessly argue IN FAVOR of religious cleansing. Remarkable.

Gary Nabedian
Gary Nabedian
1 year ago

I also oppose this change, I’m getting very tired of the current “cancel culture” and do not believe we should erase history by changing the names of holidays and schools or removing statues. Columbus lived in a different time and he should not be measured by current ideology whether we agree with it or not. He and others of his day took great personal risks to explore the world.

Kate Trigg
Kate Trigg
1 year ago

For anyone opposing the name change of this holiday, might I suggest you read Howard Zinn’s book “A People’s History of the United States”. It’s a real eye opener from the victims point of view.

Barbara Aldorisio
Barbara Aldorisio
1 year ago

We/I totally agree Mr Miranda.
Babs Aldorisio

Karen L Moore
Karen L Moore
1 year ago

I vehemently oppose the removal of Columbus Day from The Town of Bedford. As an Italian American I am proud of my heritage and the opportunities that have been afforded to me. Italian immigrants helped provide the labor for American factories and mines and helped build roads, dams, tunnels, and other infrastructure. Their work provided them a small economic foothold in American society and allowed them to provide for their families, which stood at the core of Italian-American life.

Even in the 1950s and 1960s, Italians encountered prejudice and negative stereotypes. Much of that was related to the Mafia. Often victimized by organized crime, Italian Americans also found their reputation tarnished by organized crime, even as they climbed the socioeconomic ladder. I’m proud of my Italian heritage and the tremendous role Italian-Americans played in building this country, while often facing terrible adversity and discrimination.

I think it is a shame that this warrant will not be voted on by the whole Town and just the couple of hundred of residents that show up for the meeting in May. This is not democracy, this is another example of where a small group of people deem to have control of our history, according to their own sources.

Nancy Wolk
Nancy Wolk
1 year ago
Reply to  Karen L Moore

Everybody is welcome to the town meeting. I don’t understand how this is not democracy. People can choose not to participate.

Virginia
Virginia
1 year ago
Reply to  Nancy Wolk

I’m tiered of hearing all this Roderick about black life maters.
I agree, all life matters.

I disagree about the changing the name of Columbus Day.
What about Italian lives matter. Do people realize that the Italian and Irish immigrants were also persecuted when they arrived to this country.
How many died. They were given the worst jobs and the most dangerous.

African American have Martin Luthier King day. Even the schools close.
Why is it ok .to change the one day to celebrate the Italians.
They worked very hard and never played the system to rape benefits from the government. I don’t understand.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x