May 21, 2021
- One (1) new COVID-19 positive case at John Glenn Middle School (JGMS case #23). No close contacts.
- There is currently (1) active COVID-19 case in the JGMS community at this time.
- This case does not appear to be connected or related to previous cases identified in the schools.
- Please consider signing up your child for weekly pooled testing so we can continue to identify asymptomatic cases. More information on our new vendor and sign up links can be found here: Updated Pooled Testing Process May 7, 2021
- COVID vaccines are available for FREE tomorrow (Saturday 5/22) for anyone age 12 and up. Pre-registration is required: https://calendly.com/info3-2/john-glenn-middle-school?month=2021-05&date=2021-05-22
There is one (1) new reported case of COVID-19 in the JGMS community. This case is in isolation at home. JGMS Case #22 was present in school during their infectious period and investigations revealed NO close contacts. We are following the latest DESE guidance on close contact notification. All individuals in the classroom or on the bus (masked but not fully vaccinated) within 6 feet are considered a close contact BUT if you are from three (3) to six (6) feet (masked but not fully vaccinated) you will be notified by the school nurse and/or the Bedford Health Department. Those close contacts identified within the three (3) to six (6) feet of distance do NOT need to be quarantined but it is recommended that they be tested. Close contacts in the classroom or on the bus while both individuals were masked do not have to quarantine unless they were within 3 feet of distance of the COVID-19 positive individual for a total of 15 minutes during a 24-hour period. For more information please see the MA DESE COVID Site.
We remind parents/guardians/caregivers that it is imperative that all Bedford Public School students be evaluated for symptoms of COVID-19 each day before sending them off to school. Teachers and school staff are required to do the same self-evaluation for symptoms. We will continue to offer weekly free asymptomatic COVID -19 testing for all students and staff through our pooled testing program for the remainder of the school year. All the protective measures, taken in combination, greatly reduce the risk of transmission and help to keep our schools open.
We will continue to be vigilant in adhering to all of the protocols that have been put in place in an effort to continue in-person learning via our current hybrid model. We are also providing remote learning for all students required to quarantine at home to continue to provide instruction, structure, and an emotional connection to the classroom during a time that we know will be challenging for those children and families involved.
We are committed to continuous communication with and support of our families. If there is additional transmission as a result of this case or a separate case, the Bedford Health Department Staff and School Nurses will immediately begin a case investigation to determine close contacts of any cases and conduct appropriate notifications to any impacted school community members so as to initiate proper quarantine. Thank you for your continued support.
Wishing you continued health.