Recreation Director Amy Hamilton Tuesday advised all Bedford Day participants via email that if the risk of exposure to Covid-19 worsens, the Select Board could decide to cancel the Sept. 18 celebration.
However, she said Tuesday afternoon, preparations are continuing as if it was a normal year, and she went on record about the possibility of cancellation “just to be abundantly transparent.”
Hamilton, who with her office coordinates Bedford Day parade and street fair participation, said to date they have received 60 to 65 percent of applications for booths.
The deadline is next week, she said, adding that “more than 30 percent of applications come in after the deadline in a typical year. So nothing can be gauged by where we are right now.” She added that she is not hearing from people “panicking” in response to her notice.
At his board’s most recent meeting last week, Select Board member William Moonan expressed continuing concern about the potential risks of Bedford Day activities, which include fireworks. Town Manager Sarah Stanton pointed out that the board could still vote to cancel the festivities at its meeting on Sept. 13.
Members of the Board of Health mentioned Bedford Day at their virtual meeting Monday evening.
Board member Dr. Ann Kiessling wondered what would impel the Select Board to cancel. “I imagine they will be looking at the numbers, out of an abundance of caution,” said Heidi Porter, director of health and human services. “It’s an outdoor event, but still a lot of people gathered at once.”
“It doesn’t seem like this should have to wait until the last minute,” Kiessling said. She wondered whether booths could be separated to mitigate crowding.
Mike Rosenberg can be reached at email@example.com, or 781-983-1763