In response to the highly transmissible Delta variant of COVID-19 leading to an increase in cases locally and across the country, the face mask order is similar to orders adopted by several area cities and towns and is intended to protect the health and safety of Bedford community members, as well as to keep private and public institutions in operation.
The order will be in effect as long as the CDC deems Middlesex County transmission rates to be “substantial” or greater (it is currently “high”).
The order applies to all individuals aged two years and above (except where an individual is unable to wear a face-covering due to a medical condition or disability)
The mandate includes
- Foodservice establishment customers may only remove face coverings when seated.
- Indoor performance venue customers may only remove face coverings in the actual act of
eating and drinking if permitted in the venue. Indoor performers are required to wear face
- Lodging guests and workers are required to wear face coverings when inside hallways and
- Fitness Center/Health Club workers, customers, and visitors are required to wear face
coverings during fitness activity, including strenuous activity.
- At Personal Services establishments, including but not limited to barber shops, hair and
nail salons, all customers and workers are required to wear face coverings, except for skin
or beard care that occurs on the face, the customer may temporarily remove the face
covering but must immediately put the face-covering back on for the remainder of the visit.
- Masks remain mandatory for all individuals on public and private transportation systems
(including rideshares, livery, taxi, ferries, MBTA, Commuter Rail, and transportation
stations), in healthcare facilities and in other settings hosting vulnerable populations, such
as congregate care settings, as directed by the Governor and the Massachusetts Department
of Public Health.
- Residents and employees in multi-unit homes and apartments are required to wear face
coverings when inside common hallways and spaces.
- Members and employees in private membership clubs are required to wear face coverings
- All entry doors of businesses open to the public must be posted – advising customers that
face masks must be worn inside the establishment. If a customer refuses to wear a mask or
face covering for non-medical reasons, a business may decline entry to the individual.
- All Bedford schools, public and private, are required to follow the American Academy of
Pediatrics guidance to require face coverings while indoors.
This mandate does not apply to outdoor spaces.
Please visit https://www.bedfordma.gov/health-department/pages/mask-mandate-effective-august-27-2021 to view the full text of the order and see additional relevant links