~ Submitted by the Volunteer Coordinating Committee
Do you want to have a say in helping to enhance, protect and preserve Bedford’s trees? The Bedford Arbor Resources Committee (BARC) currently has openings for new volunteer members.
The Arbor Resources Committee is a Town Board comprised of seven (7) full members appointed by the Select Board for one (1) year terms. BARC advocates for trees and works to minimize the impact of town development projects on arbor resources. BARC typically meets once a month. BARC currently has openings, and we encourage any interested Bedford registered voters to apply. Your help is appreciated on this very worthwhile committee.
BARC’s primary responsibility is to advise the Select Board and other Town organizations on current best practices for managing trees and the ecological resources that support them. The group is also driving initiatives to:
- Build public awareness of tree issues and the important role and value of trees
- Collaborate with other organizations to advance common interests that will benefit the community
- Review, revise, and develop tree-related policies such as the Town Tree Policy and the Scenic Road Policy
- Develop strategies for reducing and reversing the loss of public trees with a goal of no net loss of town trees
Other committee activities include:
- Work closely with the DPW on current town projects to enhance the environmental and aesthetic aspects of the project
- Review plans and provide input for the planting of trees in public spaces
- Review trees at risk on town land
- Keep current on tree-related issues and trends
- Manage a program that offers a limited number of free trees to town residents
The Arbor Resources Committee is a wonderful opportunity for citizens who care about trees and the environment, are curious, thoughtful, and enjoy enhancing and greening our public spaces. BARC members do not have to come from any specific discipline or have a particular expertise; all are welcome. BARC members can help to preserve and enhance the beauty of Bedford’s green spaces for years to come.
BARC has also started the Bedford Friends of Trees Google group which can be found at https://www.bedfordma.gov/arbor-resources-committee. We encourage residents to check it out.
For more information on this board, please visit https://www.bedfordma.gov/arbor-resources-committee. For more information on Bedford’s volunteer process, including links to VCC contact information and the volunteer application, please visit https://www.bedfordma.gov/volunteer-coordinating-committee.