In the midst of Thanksgiving weekend, scores of fans attended the 2021 Thanksgiving Classic to support the BHS varsity ice hockey team. The athletes kicked off their 2021-2022 season in the now-traditional fundraising contest against a team comprised of BHS alumni, first responders, town employees, and parents. The event benefits the Asberger/Autism Network of New England.
The Bucs won their second annual contest in a row, besting the town/alumni team 5-1.
Kenny Nichol and Chris Woo each posted two goals, and Kenny Doucet added another. BHS Alum and 1991 Bedford Athletic Association Sports Hall of Fame inductee Steve Mead scored his team’s only point, with his son in goal.
Thank you, each and all
Organizer Nick Anderson reported, “The most pleasant surprise came at the end of the night, tallying the numbers for the event’s annual donation. Between the town/alumni player contributions, the silent auction proceeds, and a final donation to be made by Bedford’s Professional Firefighters IAFF Local #2310, this year’s game was the most financially successful event to date, thanks to the community’s generous support.”
The annual contest benefits the Aspergerger’s/Autism Network. In a year where Anderson planned for a lean gift, a total donation will be made in the name of this event for $1,715.
In no particular order, Anderson’s heartfelt thanks go to:
- Hayley Marie Williams ~ for hopping into the timekeeping role
- Bedford Fire Captain Mark Sullivan, Regina Sullivan, and Steve Mead ~ for rallying the Bucs parents
- The Edge Sports Center ~ for allowing us to reserve the prime time ice slot
- Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce ~ for sponsoring ice time at the upper rink at The Edge Sports Center,
- Brennan and Casey LaGrassa, Dawn Kelly, and Bedford Firefighter Evan Loreth ~ for auction donations
- Bedford Firefighter Carla Sahrbeck and Mikey Huoppi ~ for tending the silent auctions
- Peter Bagley and Josh Berenson ~ for volunteering their time to officiate today’s game
- The Bedford Citizen ~ for helping to get the word out and coming to take pictures today!
“Most of all,” Anderson added, “thank you to everyone who came out today to make this the most successful Thanksgiving Classic to date!”
Freshmen: Charles Demeo, Logan Cox, Jackson Masters, Max Marchionna, Drew Siwik, Andy Scoville, James Lorusso, Jackson Mallio, James Nichol, Grady Culhane, Charlie Scilliano, Charlie O’Brien, Riley Foy, Ryan McGrath, and Carter Georgette.
Sophomores: Pranay Shah, Kenny Doucette, Matt Colasante, Bryan Bai, and Blake Styzynski.
Juniors: Chris Woo, Nick Tatarczuk, Sam Dinitto, and Tyler Hutchinson
Seniors: Andrew Sullivan, TJ Mead, Lucas Tucker, Will Campbell, and Ittai Weisman
Nick Anderson, alum and Bedford Fire Department; Matt Barbieri, alum; Ned Chaney, alum; Tom Demeo, parent; Sean Dineen, VA Police; Brent Duncan, alum; Steven Hatch; John Isnor Jr, alum and Billerica Fire Department; Ryan Isnor, alum; Brennan LaGrassa, alum; Mitch McLaughlin, Bedford DPW; Steve Mead, alum and parent; Todd Nichol, parent; Pete Spencer, alum and Bedford Fire Department; Michael Vaughan; Nick Wilson, alum; and Steve Wilson, alum.
Faces in the Crowd