~ Submitted by Liz Antanavica, Bedford’s Refuse & Recycling Administrator
Residents should place all yard waste curbside in tall paper bags or open barrels with no lids by 7:00 AM on Monday. Republic Services will begin collection each week and finish collecting the yard waste route by the end of the day Friday. To report a missed collection, contact Republic Services at (800) 442-9006.
Acceptable yard waste includes:
- Leaves & pine needles,
- Grass clippings, garden trimmings & weeds
- Tree material up to one inch (1”) in diameter.
Yard waste in plastic bags will be left behind. Collected material is brought to the Town’s Compost Center. Please NO stones, trash, or other non-compostable debris.
Residents can also bring yard waste to the Compost Center, 108 Carlisle Rd, on Wednesdays and Saturdays (8 AM to 1 PM) during the month of November. A resident sticker is required. Stickers are available during business hours at the DPW, 314 Great Rd, with proof of residency.
Bedford’s Stormwater team wishes to remind residents that Bedford’s storm drains and catch basins bring untreated water directly to our rivers and streams. Help protect our watershed with these helpful tips:
- Consider mulching leaves in place with your lawnmower to put valuable nutrients back into the soil.
- Gather leaves and other yard waste into a compost pile, let overwinter and decompose and then use as fertilizer next growing season.
- Bag leaves for collection, or bring them to the Town Compost Center.
- Reminder: Yard waste should not be placed in or adjacent to any wetlands.
Learn more about Bedford’s Stormwater Management Program at www.bedfordma.gov/dpw/stormwater or email: StormWater@bedfordma.gov