Hanscom Noise ~ What’s Bedford Thinking?

Hanscom has been part of Bedford since 1942, Bedford Explained – Hanscom, The Bedford Citizen – June 11, 2021.  Noise associated with the airport has always been a subject of concern.  In fact, there is a story from the Lowell Sun in 1956 that the historical society reprinted on June 19, 2019 – Chicken vs. Jets in the Bedford Historical Society’s Today In Bedford’s History.  So people worried about noise coming from Hanscom is nothing new.

We had a reader write in asking if we would consider asking what kind of noise is the most bothersome.  Jets? Helicopters? Prop planes?

If you are bothered by Hanscom aircraft noise, what kind of noise are you bothered by?

Ready to be counted? Vote in the poll until noon next Saturday. You’ll find the poll in the right-hand column on The Citizen’s main page, or by scrolling to the bottom of your phone or tablet

Keep our journalism strong! Support The Citizen Journalism Fund today. Contact The Bedford Citizen: editor@thebedfordcitizen.org or 781-325-8606

Share your enthusiasm for this article!

Notify of
guest

6 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Rick Liou
Rick Liou
8 months ago

I agree with Meeta about also asking for a respondent’s proximity to the airport. I’m sure not every respondent lives under the flight paths or near the two run ways, and it’s understandable that those who are further removed from the noise will likely say it’s not an issue. I think your poll will be more insightful and revealing if you correlate proximity with distance to understand how much air noise is truly affecting people’s quality of life. Having lived in Bedford for many years now, I can honestly say the noise levels have gotten worse and I can count more instances of larger jets these days.

Last edited 8 months ago by Rick Liou
Meeta M
Meeta M
8 months ago

In the future I’d like you to do a poll which asks people which part of Bedford they live in so we can hopefully see where people aren’t as affected. I do like this poll asked for a breakdown by type of aircraft and I wish I knew ahead of time so I could have voted.

Ira Goldman
Ira Goldman
8 months ago

Hanscom is out of control – the large jets in the summer and fall are almost continuous. It really ruins the quality of life and the environment at Great Meadows. The flights breaking the night curfew wake us. There needs to be real limits and noise abatement measures instituted.

Gary Keller
Gary Keller
8 months ago

Did the chickens die from the noise that they knew about or the emissions that they did not at that time know about?

Marilyn Denton
Marilyn Denton
8 months ago

Definitely larger jets for me. And like Neil, I am questioning the middle of the night take offs. Are the operators simply absorbing the additional fees that, I believe, are supposed to deter late night/early morning flights?

Neil McKenna
Neil McKenna
8 months ago

Jets bother me the most; especially those that, and it seems increasingly so, take off and land in the middle of the night, awakening me. I thought there were restrictions.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x