Currently, The Bedford Citizen is seeking reporters for the following positions:
Posted 13 Feb 2021
Working at the direction of the president and publisher, the Operations Manager (OM) will also work closely with the Chair of the Fundraising Committee on the design and execution of processes and the completion of tasks that increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the Executive Committee in particular and the organization as a whole. The OM will attend Executive Committee meetings as a function of the position and while not a voting member of the Executive Committee is expected to actively participate in meetings.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills (written and oral) and demonstrated (general) computer fluency. Previous experience must include work with at least one database software program and demonstrated close attention to detail and ability to follow up and monitor ongoing activities across the organization. Previous experience with the grant application process is a strong plus.
- Produce monthly reports such as: income statement showing revenue and expenses; summary of Google and Facebook analytics; email subscriber numbers; comparisons to previous month, year
- Oversee collection, retention, and access documents such as policy statements, minutes, agendas, Board information packets, and Board Book materials
- Sponsorship and Bedford Guide billing and follow up
- Manage database of reporters and writers (contact information, etc.)
- Support to Board event and program committees
- Miscellaneous administrative duties
- Board Liaison
- Preparation for Board Meetings and Strategic Planning Meetings including scheduling/Doodle Polls; arranging for meeting room; preparing and sending Board information packets
- Maintaining Board Books
- Attend Board meetings
- Fundraising Support
- Donor database: gifts (past and current); maintains Donor Wall on website
- Annual Report
- Collect mail 1-2 times per week from PO Box; coordinate check and bill drop off with Treasurer
- Support for fundraising appeals such as: mail merging appeal letters; expediting mailing of appeals letters; implementing email appeals to subscriber list through Mail Chimp; assisting with communication to potential and existing sponsors
- Grant support including gathering and maintaining information for grants; editing; securing signatures; monitoring timeline for application deadlines
- As assigned by President
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Ongoing search, 2021
The Bedford Citizen is looking for a stringer to cover local government meetings in the town of Bedford, MA. You must be able to attend evening/weekend meetings and events, have your own transportation, and be able to work without a physical office. You should be a self-starter comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, able to turn stories around quickly and be familiar with covering local government.
You will work with our team to determine meetings most needing coverage each week. You will typically cover 1-3 meetings a week, turning in well-written articles, requiring minimal editing and fact-checking, within 48 hours. Typical meetings you will cover include: Selectmen, Planning Board, Board of Health, etc.
The Bedford Citizen is a digital civic news organization serving residents and businesses within the town of Bedford, MA. Founded in 2012, The Citizen serves the 14,000 residents and ~500 businesses in the town with news and information geared to keeping them informed and engaged in their community.
To apply: please send your resume, cover letter, and 3 articles/your best work to email@example.com. Do not send freelance story ideas/pitches; we are looking for news coverage. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.