The Historical Society will be hosting a showing of “Bedford Windshield: A Quick and Easy guide to Architecture in a New England Village”, a 1993 documentary produced by the Bedford Historical Society. The program discusses historical homes throughout Bedford, the architecture and structural reasoning behind the properties, history of the owners, and the various styles that make New England Homes iconic. The documentary features Mary Hafer, Previous Curator of the Bedford Historical Society and Historical Architect, Max Ferro. Ms. Hafer has graciously agreed to speak at the meeting about her participation in the video and other key facts about historic homes throughout Bedford. It is a program not to be missed!
The first meeting of the Bedford Historical Society’s 2019-2020 Program Series will begin at 7:15 for a half-hour refreshment/social period before the guest speakers begin on Wednesday, September 25, 2019, at the Congregational Church, 25 The Great Road. The evening will highlight Bedford High School students who competed in National History Day will describe their projects and will also be presented with awards. The historic Col. Timothy Jones House will be the subject of the second part of the program. Bedford’s National History Day Students
Bedford students who qualified for the National History Day competition were:
Jacqueline Altman won 1st place at State competition for her Senior Individual Performance, “From the Warsaw Ghetto to Jewish Homes: Irene Sendler Helps Children Find Triumph in the Midst of Tragedy.”
Olivia Lee and Rahel Burchardt won 2nd place at State competition for their Senior Group Documentary, “Three Mile Island: The Tragic Negligence of Private Companies and Their Supervising Bodies Prompts a Triumph for Improved Public Safety and the Power of Public Opinion.”
At their September 9 meeting, the Selectmen reviewed several Department of Public Works contracts, received an update on progress of the Historical Society’s proposed museum, and reviewed the warrant for the upcoming Special Town Meeting. The meeting began after a 30-minute executive session to discuss union contracts.
PLEASE NOTE DATE CHANGE TO MAY 19
How did Boston silversmith Paul Revere end up riding to alert the countryside that “the British are coming” in April 1775? How many know that Paul Revere was an express rider for the Boston Committee of Correspondence and the MA Committee of Safety in 1774 and 1775, to carry news, messages, and copies of important documents from Boston as far away as New York and Philadelphia? These facts and others will be offered when retired John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum Curator Frank Rigg talks about the impact and legacy of Paul Revere’s historic ride. – Click this link to learn more! Join us in the Upper Fellowship Hall of the First Church of Christ, Congregational at 7:30 pm for the annual meeting of the Bedford Historical Society and at 7:45 for our guest speaker.
The Bedford Historical Society welcomes back history teacher, author and lecturer Chris Daley with his latest presentation, Irish Need Not Apply: The History of the Irish in Boston. The 90-minute slide lecture examines many facets of the early Irish experience in Boston. These will include a look at the scant evidence about Irish brought over unwillingly as indentured servants in the late 17th Century; the arrival of the Scotch-Irish or “Ulster Irish” in the first real migration of Irish in 1718; the increase in anti-Irish/Catholic sentiment in Boston – starting with the notorious Pope’s Day celebrations; and a discussion of the burning of Charlestown’s Ursuline Convent in 1834 and the Broad Street Riot of 1837. Join us in the Great Room of the Old Town Hall at 2:00 pm for refreshments and at 2:30 pm for announcements our guest speaker. Free and open to the public. This event is sponsored by the Bedford Historical Society.
In the summer of 1630, a thousand people with dwindling supplies of food and medicine stepped off their boats into the wilderness. They lived in caves or wigwams or tents; food began to run out. In winter, Boston Harbor froze solid for two months. John Morrison, Trustee of the Partnership of Historic Bostons (PHB), will present an illustrated talk about the first dangerous years when nearly one-half of the original Puritans died or fled back to England. How did they survive in the place that became the City of Boston? Join in the Upper Fellowship Hall of the First Church of Christ, Congregational at 2:00 pm for refreshments and at 2:30 pm for announcements our guest speaker. Free and open to the public. This event is sponsored by the Bedford Historical Society.
Town Historian Sharon McDonald has been researching the history of slavery in Bedford. It stunned her to find that there were enslaved men, women and children of color living here in Bedford’s early days! What were their names? Did they ultimately escape bondage? Was Bedford a link on the nineteenth century Underground Railroad?
Join us at 7:15 for refreshments; at 7:45 the Bedford High School History Day competitors will describe their projects and be honored by the Bedford Historical Society. Don Corey, Society President, will present a show and tell on “What’s in Bedford’s Attic.” Free and open to the public.
Join the Historical Society to hear stories from two more of Bedford’s historic homes; the Farley-Hutchinson-Kimball house on North Road, and the David Fitch house, now part of Carleton-Willard Village on Old Billerica Road. Current owners will discuss their homes’ histories and notable former occupants, along with rehabilitation and preservation efforts.